Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Signs that You Might Be Discontent

Warning Signs That You Might Be Discontent:

1. Grumbling/Complaining
This for me if a huge sign that I am not content. When I find myself complaining about a circumstance that I wish would change, I need to dig deeper and see what it is that I am discontent. Ultimately my complaining is a way of saying that God's provision is not enough for me.

Watson says " murming is no better than mutiny in the heart; it is a rising up against God."

I appreciate that quote because all to often I think that my complaint is against a person but if I really believe that God is sovereign over everything in my life, including the people he has put in my life, than my complaint is against the Lord. Once I began to realize this truth my fight for contentment increased. See it doesn't sound quite as bad to complain against my husband or my children but when I say " No Tara, you are complaining against a Holy God, it makes me step back and go " what a minute" I don't want to offend The Holy God whom I love and who has saved me!

Again Watson, " The murmur saith interpretatively, that God hath not dealt well with him and he hath deserved better from him. The murmurer chargeth God with folly: this is the language or rather blasphemy of a murmuring spirit- God might have been a wiser and a better God.

The book of Numbers provides a great example of people who never had enough. The Lord provided Manna for Israel, but the complained and wished for something more.

Number 11:1 And the people complained in the hearing of the Lord about their misfortunes, and when the Lord heard it, his anger was kindled, and the fire of the Lord burned among them and consumed some outlying parts of the camp. Now the rabble that was among them had a strong craving. And the people of Israel also wept again and said, " Oh that we had meat to eat! We remember the fish we ate in Egypt that cost nothing, the cucumbers, the melons, the leeks , the onions, and the garlic. But now our strength is dried up, and there is nothing at all but this manna to look at"

What is the manna in your life that God has given you for your provision that is just not enough anymore? Job, singleness, school, children etc?

Philippians 2:14 Do all things without grumbling or complaining.

Put a watch on your complaints. Remind yourself who you are really complaining about- a Sovereign God, not man.

2. Jealousy/Covetousness

How often do you notice what others around you have that you don't? Then you noticing turns into wanting. You thought you were content until you saw what God has given someone else and now you wanting turns to discontent. Again this is an easy trap for me to fall into. It could be something like visiting a friends house and realizing that my house is not as nicely decorated. Than coveting items that she has.

Watson " God see in his infinite wisdom that the same condition is not convenient for all; that which is good for one, may be bad for another. One season of weather will not serve all men's occasions; one needs sunshine, another rain: one condition of life will not fit every man, any more than one suit of apparel will fit every body: prosperity is not fit for all, nor yet adversity.

Again Watson " Discontent keeps a man from enjoying what he doth possess"

I know that do not want to miss out on what God has given me to enjoy because I'm do busy being discontent over what I could have or desire to have.

Psalm 16:5-6 The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup; you hold my lot. The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance.

Indeed we have been given a beautiful inheritance. The lines may fall in different ways for different people but for believers, we have a beautiful inheritance!

I will finish up with concluding thoughts tomorrow.

No comments: