Friday, September 26, 2008

Joy


I've gone back this week and read some more of Octavius Winslow's Precious Things of Christ. It is so good and I can usually only take in a page at a time it is so rich. I was ministered to this week on the joy of the redeemed and where my Joy should come from.

Oh, how much more joyful would the saints of God be did they deal less with themselves, and more with Jesus! They look at their sins, pore over their unfitness, pine at their leanness, and succumb to their failures and infirmities, their poverty and emptiness, and so all sweet, sacred joy droops and dies within their souls. But, "the joy of the Lord is your strength." "The meek shall increase their joy in the Lord." And seeing that the Lord has "clothed them with the garments of salvation, and has covered them with the robe of righteousness," it is the privilege of their soul "greatly to rejoice in the Lord and to be joyful in their God" (Isa. 61:10). But beloved, remember that Christ's joy can only remain in you, and you joy be full, as in childlike faith you look directly, and only and CONSTANTLY to Christ.

Oh for a higher tone of holy joy among the Lord's redeemed! Who in this vast universe have such reason to make the valley resound and the mountain echo with the glad notes of praise, as you who are freed from servitude, who are delivered from hell, and who are on you way to heaven, to spend your eternity- "forever with the Lord?" Beloved reader, if you are saved- if, in the exercise of the lowliest faith, you can cherish the hope of acceptance, as a poor sinner, with God through Christ- you may rejoice in tribulation, and glory in infirmity and count the suffering of this present time not worthy to be compared with the glory that will be revealed in you. "rejoice in the Lord, and again I say, Rejoice"


How I pray and desire to make the Lord my constant and only joy. How easy it is to look to the world, the failing economy, trials, my own failures as a mom and wife this week and allow those circumstances to rob me of my joy. But the joy of the Lord is my strength and what greater truth to mediate on and gladden my soul, than God has saved me, an unworthy sinner, unto an inheritance that is imperishable.

4 comments:

Mandy Kershaw said...

Thank you for posting this! The timing was perfect. How easily I've allowed the trivial to rob my joy this week. God used your blog to point out my sin and point me back to Him tonight. I needed it!

Tara said...

I'm glad to hear you were encouraged too by his words Mandy! We can fight for joy together this weekend :-)

We will never thirst-because all that we need is found in Jesus said...

This was so encouraging!

CKR said...

Hi Tara, I was looking for the whole text to read and was wondering if I'm searching wrong - I've found the Precious Things of God and The Preciousness of Christ - so which one should is it? :) Thanks!