Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Fighting Battles


I won a battle this morning. I've been involved in a lot of battles lately. Battles of the will... battles with a little boy with big blue eyes. Oh it may not seem that big in the scheme of things but it was God's grace to us this morning. Trevor, in anger, threw his cup across the floor. After disciplining him I looked him in the eyes and said "Trevor go pick up your cup and bring it to mommy". He looked me square in the eyes and said his favorite word " NO" and ran away. At least he was clothed while he ran. Yesterday he took his diaper off and when I came to put a new diaper on he ran away from me screaming "NO, NO, NO" over and over. Anyways, this was one of those moments when you just know your in it for the long haul! I disciplined him again and gave him another chance to obey. Again, a loud "NO" and he runs. We repeated this process quite a few times but in the end the word "NO" changed to "Obey" and he picked up his cup and gave it to me. HALLELUJAH!

I remember coming into the "terrible two's" with Taylor. It scared me to death. What happened to my sweet little girl? Whose child is this? Certainly she can't be ours! What I remember most was feeling inadequate to be her mom. This time around with Trevor, I am not surprised by his sin. I know full well that he is our child. But he is our child in need of a savior! However, I am still tempted towards feeling of inadequacy. In perfect timing I read this quote this morning upon waking up.

"God knows the feeling of discouragement, inadequacy, and failure which conscientious parents feel. But it was His idea to make them parents and to give them this particular set of children. He knew they would not do a perfect job. He is Father to the parents, and promises every kind of help they need. He stands beside them in every situation, ready to give wisdom as needed and grace to help in time of need if only they will turn to Him and ask for it" Elisabeth Elliot; Shaping of a Christian Family

I'm praying for all my mommy friends fighting battles today! Remember that God is there in every situation ready to give wisdom.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I needed this quote today. i am out of the terrible two's, but homeschooling keeps right back in that place of inadequacy and desperation. It hasn't been pretty this week (mostly because this mommy isn't as patient as her blogging friend :). Anyway, it was God's grace to read that God "knows the feeling of discouragement, inadequacy, and failure which conscientious parents feel." Even better, He is with me here, in the homeschool room, ready with whatever I need to glorify Him today.

Zoanna said...

One thing that lifted my spirits today was realizing that I am not called to parent MORE than my own children. I can help, but the hard part's up to them. There was a little guy in the auditorium playing with my son and I told them both to get off the cart. My son obeyed but the other kid didn't. I looked at him sternly and told him again. He complied with a nasty look. When I turned my back ,he sat on it again. I told him I meant what I said. He got off. I said, "Now please put your shoes on. It's time to go. Your mom will be here soon." He danced around and made excuses. I had to leave, and I was thankful I have enough battles of my own, I don't need someone else's. My JOel did enough else to warrant a spanking in the bathroom, and it was very profitable. He confessed his sins (yes, multiple sins), got a spankin, cried, dried up and hugged me. I am happy to be his mom, not that other boy's. I'm sure she feels the same way. Ahh, motherhood!

Spirit of Adoption said...

WOOOH.....sounds ALL too familiar! We just finished the parenting seminar at church, and WHAT AN INCREDIBLE grace to be under such teaching! So, SO, So thankful for the LORD and His grace for each day.....gently leading those with young!!! I feel the NEED EVERY MOMENT OF EVERY DAY for HIM to gently lead me!!!!

Anonymous said...

do any of you ever read child development books regarding developmental milestones and age appropriate cognitve ability? if not you might want to start...i can't even believe some of the stuff i'm reading...