Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Potty Training...



Well it's been a busy few weeks for the Daukas'. Lots of library going, swimming, visiting with friends, play-dough creations, cutting out all sorts of shapes from construction paper and gluing them on to cardboard to make collages. Trevor has learned how to navigate the computer and is having lots of fun practicing his alphabet on www.starfall.com. As for me, I've spent most of my summer days in the bathroom. Yep I'm pretty much camped out there all day long. If I ever don't answer the phone or door you can take one guess where I am. Got a stack of books and a nice comfy seat in there now too :-) We finished up with Trevor a few weeks ago. By finished I mean he's telling me when he has to go, very few accidents and no longer needs any assistance from us. Oh how great it feels to have that boy out of diapers... what a mess it was in the process though! And now we are on to Rylee. I haven't been one to potty train my kids young. Partly me but mostly them. They just weren't ready. Rylee has shown interest all summer while I've been working with Trevor but nothing ever really came of it. About a week ago she woke up and said "Mommy I have to go potty". I put her on and potty she went. I left her diaperless for the rest of the day and each time she'd tell me when she had to go potty. Even though I didn't have intentions of training her this early I'm not going to deny it to her either. There have been a few messes here and there... she's still figuring out the big one. The first time it was hilarious. She looked into the potty and said "Oh no, Mommy it's a mess!" She immediately flushed it before she could finish her potty business all the while crying over her "mess'. Then today she went a little bit and insisted on being done. I helped her off, washed her hands and she ran off... knowing she would be right back I plopped myself on the bathroom floor and grabbed one of those good books I mentioned earlier. Sure enough just moments later she came running back in with a little present for me. Yep she had gone on the floor, picked it up and plopped it into the toilet. She exclaimed, "ip, ip, ooray!" Copying my earlier celebration.
We leave on vacation in a few days so I'm hoping I don't lose too much ground on all the hard work I've put in with her while we are gone. I confess it's hard to imagine a diaper, wipe free house! It's been been six years straight of having a kid in diapers. I've begun imagining where all that extra money can go :-)

5 comments:

megan haughery said...

hey we have those elmo undies :)
congrats on the potty training...
fun times!

Brandy said...

Are you kidding me with the picture? Love it! I am so happy that you are approaching a diaperless house...we are half and half and that's better than how we started when Luke was born.

Luz said...

tara, i can lend you my poop books if you'd like. :)

Spirit of Adoption said...

That is a pretty cute pic!!! : ) I can't imagine a diaper free house!!!! Good job!!!!!

CarrieLovesKeith said...

I love that picture, too! Man, Trevor is TAN! Congrats on an (almost) diaper-free house! I will be joining you in about 10 years :~)