Monday, February 09, 2009

Let Your Light Shine


Chris and I have been talking a lot about evangelism recently. Which is probably good since we will be planting a church soon. I have personally always enjoyed building relationships with the lost but when it comes time to "getting out the tract", I hand them over to my husband. The actual sharing of the gospel is something I'd like to grow in. No let me say that again, the actual sharing of the gospel is something I NEED to grow in. Sometimes when my mind unknowingly resorts back to it's Arminian ways, I have nightmares of people yelling at me from hell, "thanks for the meal when I was sick but YOU NEVER TOLD ME ABOUT JESUS!". Ok, so I know that won't really happen and God will save all those he wants to save, but it is my deepest desire to be used by him to participate in the Great Commission. And I know it's Chris' greatest desire that our church plant efforts would bring about the saving of many souls.

Life has been a little crazy since having three kids and I'm tempted to think I'm too busy to evangelize. Shouldn't I just leave this for those who are gifted in that area? I believe that kind of attitude is the same as me saying, "I don't have time to pray, I'll let those who are better at it pray." Or, "I don't have time to read and discern what God's word is saying to me, I should leave that to the scholars." So if I have a conviction and desire to evangelize, then comes the question of how? How, in this busy season of motherhood, can I participate in evangelism? I hope to explore that question more and hear from some of you in how the Lord has provided ways for you to bring the good news to the lost in the coming days.

From Spurgeon's sermon, "The Wailing of Risca"

Oh, my brothers and sisters in Christ,
if sinners will be damned, at least
let them leap to hell over our bodies.

And if they will perish, let them perish with our
arms about their knees, imploring them to stop,
and not madly to destroy themselves.

If hell must be filled, at least let it be
filled in the teeth of our exertions, and let
not one go there unwarned and unprayed for.


Oh I love Sprugeon's heart for the lost!

3 comments:

Brandy said...

God is so wonderful in his timing...I am struggling with this same thing, Tara. We are in the study of Acts at church and what a great place to meditate on God's calling to share the gospel to this lost and dying world. I will pray for you to have opportunities as I do for myself. Love you!

LauraBo said...

I emphasize with you as I raised 4 sons while in ministry and most of the time bivocational. We are now, at this time of our life, endeavoring to plant a church also.

Where are you located? what part of the country? We are in CA and our kiddos are scattered, all in ministry of some sort.

do you have the follow capability as it would be nice to follow you and keep up with your journey.

Tara said...

Nice to meet you Laura Bo. Congrats on your plant! We live in AZ. I believe I have the follow capacity... as it shows me on my dashboard who is following me. But to be honest I'm not totally sure how that works.

I look forward to checking out your blog too!