Saturday, December 09, 2006

I Serve

"The Very Motto of a Christian should be I Serve" Spurgeon

Often when I'm cooking or getting the house ready for hospitality Taylor will come up and ask " how can I serve you mommy?" Very sweet. Usually I'll tell her how and she'll run off joyfully and do what task I asked of her. The other day I was doing the dishes and she asked "mommy can I serve you?". I replied yes sweetie I would like for you to go clean up the kitchen bin in your room. She asked hestitantly "how else can I serve you?". I half chuckled and said "ask again when your done with the kitchen bin". I was reminded how often I come to the Lord thinking I'm ready for service. "Here I am Lord, ready to serve you!!" And usually the task I'm given isn't exactly what I had in mind. Nothing like the winter season to remind me of my selfish heart. The kids have been taking turns being sick. There have been alot of runny noses and runny other things. I have had to miss church two weeks in a row. I caught what they had and as my mommy friends know being sick doesn't mean you can take a day off. There have been cancellation of play dates with other friends and late nights up with the kids. Not exactly what I had in mind for "service". I'm thankful for God's grace and the reminder that he is served when I care for runny noses, when I'm up late at night with a crying toddler and that he will care for my soul when church is missed.

" As long as there is breath in our bodies, let us serve Christ. As long as we can think, as long as we can speak, as long as we can work, let us serve Christ" Spurgeon

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How very true! Your words give me comfort, knowing that the Lord will always lift us up in ways we don't expect. Cuddles from a sick little boy is one way He reminds me to look up instead of at what is around me. Hang in there!

Spirit of Adoption said...

hhmmmmmm....sounds VERY familiar this week for us!! And your post was quite encouraging!!! THANk YOU! I love the example of your daughter and LOVE how ya'll have trained her to seek how she can serve!!!! That's beautiful!!!! I'd love to hear more on how ya'll have developed and nurtured that in her!!!