Saturday, December 09, 2006

She can read!

Something very exciting happened today. Taylor read her first word! I have these Bob Jones first reader books. She has known her letters and sounds for awhile now but has been unable to connect that knowledge to sounding out words. Well today on her own she picked a book up and brought it over to me. She sounded out one word and then proceeded to read a whole sentence! She was so proud of herself. You can tell it takes all the mental energy she has to figure out one word but in the end she gets it. As she was getting tired she would start to make up her own story. For example the sentence would be something like:

Ted is sad.

Taylor would read:

(struggling through) Ted is sad, then add confidently, because he wants a dog.

It was quite funny. I'm so proud of her and pray that she will come to love reading!

6 comments:

Heather@Cultivated Lives said...

That is so awesome! I love watching children learn new things and seeing their creativity! Oh the wonderful things that I have to look forward to!

Melinda said...

How fun! When we were over the other day she was telling me how ALL of her friends could read and she was quite disappointed that she couldn't. I tried to console her with the fact that it was something she would do when she was older and she had plenty of time to learn, but of course, her friends that could read are her age and so that was no consolation at all!! Clearly her little reading clock was ticking and she was losing time! Tell her I said "way to go!"

Anonymous said...

Tara - it has GOT to be a girl thing!! ha ha One of these days for Ryan.... I don't think there's a thing you need to know about homeschooling - you are already doing an excellent job!!!

Tara said...

That's funny Melinda cause no of her friends can read but it doesn't suprise me that she'd say that. She's a little dramatic... as you know :-)

Ha, thanks Liz but I really I think I owe all the credit to my genius husband for passing on his genes to her :-) Oh and I need plenty of help... I still need to figure out how to teach with a two year old hanging on to my leg and a crying baby in the background!!

Anonymous said...

yes, taylor "read" a book to me last night. you could tell that she knew the basic story line and most of the words on each page (from memory) but wasn't *actually* reading it. it was very cute! :-)

Spirit of Adoption said...

ahhhh...I'm looking forward to that day!!! Samuel is JUST starting to say random words and tell me what they start with....or he'll ask what a word starts with, and I'll ask him what the sound of the first letter is, and go from there...and he figures out what the word starts with! It's SO FUN!!! And quite amazing!!! But it's hard to imagine him actually getting to the reading part of it! So, so fun!