Monday, September 03, 2007

Tagged for recipes

I've been tagged by my friend Lory to list my four recipes. This is a little stressful for me because those who have gone before all are gourmet chefs. Don't deny it! So I'll give you four, very easy, basic recipes that are staples in my home. You know ones I can make with three little ones underfoot. If they bore you, feel free to follow back the trace of tags to get more "interesting" recipes. You won't be disappointed!

So hmm... which one to list first. Let's start with a great breakfast meal in honor of Lory. I made this for her baby shower and it was a hit. It also makes a great breakfast for dinner meal. Thanks to Chris' mom for the recipe!

Special Breakfast:
1 10oz pkg sharp cheddar cheese, cubed
3 1/2 cups cubed ham
15 to 20 slices bread, crust removed (removing crust is opt. just how his mom does it)
6 beaten eggs
1/2 tsp salt
3 c milk
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
2 c crushed cornflakes
1/2 c melted butter

Spray a 13x9 inch pan. Cover bottom of pan with bread slices. Sprinkle with cheese and ham. Cover with remaining bread slices. Mix together eggs, salt, milk & mustard. Pour over bread. Cover with foil & refrigerate overnight, or throughout the day. Bring to room temperature, remove foil and top with crushed cornflakes. Pour melted butter on top. Bake at 350 for 1 hr.


Black Bean Enchiladas- I love this meal because it's simple, high in fiber and well the kids will eat it.

1 c Monterrey Jack Cheese (or some mexican blend)
1 c cooked brown rice
1 c sour cream
1/3 c green onions
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 15oz can black beans, drained & rinsed
1 19 oz (give or take) red enchilada sauce- My favorite is Trader Joe's.
4 burrito size whole wheat flour tortillas

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine 1/2 c cheese, rice & next six ingredients in a large bowl. Spread 1/4 cup enchilada sauce in bottom of sprayed 11x9 inch baking dish. Top with 2 tortillas, then 1/2 bean mixture. Add 2 more tortillas, then with remaining bean mixture. Finish with enchilada sauce and remaining cheese. Bake for 40 minutes.


Seven Way Chili- Just typing this makes me long for fall! Brown 1 lb ground beef with 1 small onion
Add:
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp minced garlic
1 ckn. bullion cube
2 tsp cumin
3 tbsp chili powder
28 oz can diced tomatoes
1 can bush's chili beans
Add 2/3 water

Simmer for 2 hours.

Top with fritos, cheese, sour cream, onions or jalapenos. We eat it with spaghetti noodles on the bottom- which I highly recommend doing!



Taste good hot or frozen cookie recipe-
This is my all time favorite cookie recipe but it bakes about 11 or 12 dozen cookies. I throw some bags in the freezer for late night cravings :-)

Preheat oven to 350.

Mix together:
4 sticks softened butter
2 c sugar
2 c brown sugar
4 eggs
1 t salt
1 t baking powder
2 t baking soda
2 t vanilla

Slowly mix in:
4 c flour
4 c oatmeal
2 c coconut
4 c (2 12oz pkg) chocolate chips

Bake 10-12 minutes


Well I hope someone out there enjoys these recipes :-) I'm off- all this talk of food has made me hungry!

Oh yes and I tag my sister-in-law Danae, Heather, Luz & Shawnda
I know you are only supposed to tag four but I couldn't pick between you all so one last tag to my other sister in law, and fantasy football opponent (along with Heather) Jessica

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The cookies are to die for, wait so are those Black Bean Enchiladas.

Mrs. Miller said...

I made the black bean enchiladas for my husband last week. He ate half the dish. I guess he likes them! ;-)

Seriously, thanks for sharing your recipes. They are winners.