Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Taylor brought Toffee

After a little bit of this:

(I burned my finger... so with one hand I was stirring and the other was in ice)


and a little bit of that:




It finally turned into this:


It was my first attempt at making candy. I'm just so thankful it turned out in the end otherwise Taylor would've brought "Trader Joe's Toffee"!

Toffee Almond Crunch


1Cup sugar

2 sticks butter

1T. white caro syrup

1T. water

pinch salt

3\4 c. diced almonds

3-4 Hershey bars ( I used milk chocolate chips, 6 oz)

ground almonds for garnish

In heavy sauce pan, cook first 5 ingredients on high, stirring constantly with wooden spoon till boiling. Once it begins to boil turn it down to a medium heat. When mixture turns color of brown sugar or a bit darker (8- 10 minutes) remove from heat and stir in 3\4 c. diced almonds.

Pour mixture into greased 9” cake pan. Top with milk chocolate pieces . When melted, spread to edges with knife. Sprinkle with extra almonds ground in food processor. When cool, break in pieces. I put it in the fridge to speed up the process!


This really is a quick delicious treat! My friend who gave me the recipe forgot to put in the part of turning the stove down once it begins to boil. I think she thought I was as smart as she is and would've just known this oh so important detail :-)
So basically I burned the butter and sugar black within minutes. I'll post about Taylor's school separately.

No comments: